ABDOMINOPLASTY – FACT SHEET
- DO NOT suntan or sunburn the surgical area one month prior to procedure.
- You must remain flexed at the hips for the first 24 hours after surgery. Walk bent over from the waist for 24 hours to minimize tension to the lower abdomen. You may walk upright after 24 hours if approved by Dr. Louton. Sleep in recliner or propped with pillows behind back and under knees.
- Wear abdominal binder or compression garment, NOT TIGHT, at all times for 30 days. If you wear abdominal binder or anything else around your waist tight it will strangulate your skin and cause tissue necrosis. Be cautious, the garment is meant to provide support only. Remove for 15 minutes while showering and then replace it.
- For prevention of DVT: Flex and extend toes and deep breathe several times each hour. Use Incentive Spirometer 10-12 times an hour.
- You will have pinkish tinged drainage from liposculpture sites. It may stain garment, clothing or furniture. Use padding on home furnishings.
- Use prescribed prescriptions for pain as directed
- Paper tape is applied to your wound. Keep it as dry as possible; however, you may shower the next day and daily thereafter.
- Avoid exercise or exertion for 30 days
- Begin taking Vitamin E 400 IU twice a day 2 days prior to surgery (one in the a.m. and one in the afternoon) and continue for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Watch the area for any signs of infection.
- No exertion or lifting for 2 weeks.
- You may begin gentle walking 1 mile a day after 2 weeks.
- No strenuous exercising for 1 month.
Please notify Dr. Louton for any problem day or night at